Are you planning to visit friends or family at the lake?
You probably need a thoughtful hostess gift to thank them for their hospitality!
From cozy blankets to personalized mugs, there are plenty of unique gifts that will make your favorite host feel appreciated and valued.
In this blog post, we’ve rounded up some of the 23 best hostess gifts to bring to a lake home or cabin. Whether you’re attending a dinner party or enjoying a weekend stay, these thoughtful gifts are sure to make your host or hostess doubly happy you came.
Keep reading to find the perfect gift for your next visit to the lake!
1) Practical Host and Hostess Gifts for a Lake House
What makes a good hostess gift? Well, some of the best gifts are not only thoughtful but practical, too. Consider something useful that your host will reach for often.
After all, nobody needs more clutter, right?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THIS POST: 23 Thoughtful Valentines Day Gift Basket Ideas
For example, my friend Jodi recently brought me a pair of pretty, teal-striped tea towels that perfectly matched my color scheme. (BTW – if coming to my house, you DO NOT need to bring a hostess gift! Your gift is your presence. 😀 ) Not only was it incredibly thoughtful that she remembered my decor colors, I’m reminded of her gesture every time I dry my hands.
Here’s a three-piece set of pretty kitchen towels that would make a perfect lake house gift. They’re made in India, wash up beautifully and come in a bunch of different patterns and colors:
Another practical gift might be a set of outdoor wine glasses or drink tumblers. Nothing says “cocktail hour at the lake” like a glass of wine or sparkling mocktail on the dock. They’re perfect for wine lovers in the great outdoors, because they’ll handle any accidental bumps or drops – with no worries about broken glass. And don’t forget the wine charms!
Or if you’re visiting during the cooler months (or even cool summer nights) a cozy blanket or throw is an ideal gift. Imagine snuggling up on the porch with a soft blanket and a good book. Sounds like heaven!
For those who love to write, nature-themed note cards are a great choice and practical gift. Your hosts can use them to send thank-you notes or to stay in touch with friends and family. Or just to brag about her amazing life at the lake. 🙂
And we all know those busy, busy hosts! They love to entertain, and good friends love to visit. Help them remember their hosting highlights with this fill-in-the blank Lake House Journal. Record details about weather, visitors, activities and priceless memories made along the way.
- The “Write it Down!” Series by Journals Unlimited features the world’s largest collection of over 65 themed and guided journal titles with something for every age, interest, occasion, or hobby. We all have unique thoughts, life experiences, and events, worth remembering. Whatever your age or passion, keeping a journal is a great way capture and recall your thoughts and ideas. Each individually unique keepsake journal makes it easy and fun to record your precious thoughts and memories.
- WRITING PROMPTS guide you to capture the things that really matter. Our design makes you want to “Write it Down!”.
- PRINTED IN THE USA means quality craftsmanship. “Writing it Down!” since 1997.
- RECYCLED, heavy-duty 70 lb, acid-free, ivory paper, and soy-based ink.
Finally, let’s not forget about those UNWELCOME lake guests – mosquitoes! Help your hosts keep the little vampires at bay with electronic mosquito swatters or insect repelling devices. You could also whip up a batch of your own safe & natural DIY bug spray. They’ll thank you big time, and so will their other guests!
2) Decorative Hostess Gifts for a Lake House
But practical gifts aren’t the only kind to love. Lake-themed decor is so fun, and there’s definitely something for every decorating style.
I mean, everybody loves lake-themed wall art and cabin decor, right? Whether it’s a painting of a serene lake scene or a wooden sign with a lake-themed quote, these decorations just add a little light-hearted charm to any lake house. And if you’ve got the talent? A piece of art by your own hand makes a lasting impression. Or if you’re feeling crafty, how about a handmade wreath with natural touches like pinecones and branches? Not only is it a thoughtful gift, but it also gives a touch of nature to the home. I’m absolutely in love with this one I found at SandandSisal.com. (You HAVE to check Kim’s incredible website.) Kim, thanks so much for the “OK” to use your gorgeous photo!
For those who love to lounge (and who doesn’t!), consider bringing a snazzy throw pillow or two in your host’s home decor colors. They’ll add an extra layer of comfort to any seating area, plus they also bring a cozy and inviting vibe to the space.
Or how about this one: A personalized, engraved lake map of the host’s local lake. It’s a unique and meaningful gift that they’ll cherish forever. And it’s a great way to show that you put thought and effort into your gift, plus it’s a perfect way to commemorate a special weekend at the lake house.
And last but certainly not least, consider gifting your hosts with a floating “bobber” cooler that will keep their drinks cold and handy while they lounge on the lake. My sister Monica (the world’s greatest Thrifter) found one of these new-in-the-box for pennies and surprised us with it. So fun! Another friend uses one as his lake-home driveway marker. 😀
- TIME TO FLOAT: This floating cooler is great for the lake, boat, pool, or anywhere there’s water for fun. Take this ice chest fishing, kayaking, boating or river floating
- INSULATED ICE CHEST: This bobber cooler is insulated to keep up to 12 drinks drinks cold all day
- BUILT IN HANDLE: Not only is The Big Bobber ice chest strong and lightweight but the built in handle makes it a breeze to take from the dock to the water
- GREAT GIFT FOR BOATERS & FISHERMAN: Struggling to find a gift for the person who has everything? This is perfect gift for dads, fishermen, boaters & anyone who loves spending the day on the water
3) Food and Drink Gifts for Your Lake Cabin Host
Are you ready to show your lake cabin host some serious appreciation for his hospitality? Look no further than these tasty treats and drinks ideas! Your gracious host deserves only the best, and these gifts are sure to put a smile on his face.
Let’s start with the most important part of any morning: COFFEE. Treat your host to a gourmet coffee sampler pack that will tickle the taste buds with a range of yummy flavors. Whether your host is a die-hard coffee fanatic or just enjoys a cup now and then, he’ll surely appreciate a thoughtful gift of fresh roasted coffee varieties.
For a taste of the local flavor, some excellent options are homemade preserves, a gourmet spice kit, honey or maple syrup from a nearby farmers’ market. Create a gourmet gift basket of homey treats! It’s a wonderful way to support local businesses, while also treating your host to something truly special.
No snack spread is complete without a sampling of artisanal cheeses and nibbles. Help your host take happy hour to the next level, with a tasty assortment of cheeses and crackers that’ll wow even the fiercest of foodies. Include a cheese board, maybe some special cheddar cheese and some cheese knives, and you’ve got a truly unique hostess gift!
4) Games and Activities for Lake House Host and Hostess Gifts
Every host is looking for great entertainment ideas for the guests. These make perfect lake house gifts! Consider bringing some games and activities to get the party going. You can choose classics like board games or outdoor games to keep things active. You can’t go wrong with these gift ideas.
A great hostess gift idea might be waterproof playing cards, perfect for a round of Texas Hold’em or other card game by the water. No worries about getting them wet or ruined, these cards are durable and strong.
For more active fun, how about some classic outdoor lawn games? From cornhole to Frisbee to ladder toss, a great outdoor lawn game gets the whole family laughing and enjoying some friendly competition. Horseshoes anyone? Disc golf? Bocce ball set?
- WHAT IS SLAMMO: Slammo is an action-packed 2-on-2 volleyball style game where teams have 3 hits to return or spike the ball to the circular net; Fun for the whole family at the beach, BBQs, camping, and in the backyard
- COMPLETE SET: Includes 1 Slammo roundnet target, 1 large 12 cm training ball to learn the game, 2 smaller 9 cm competition balls, travel carrying case and game rules
- EASY TO LEARN FOR KIDS & ADULTS: Slammo is the must-have outdoor lawn and beach game for the summer that will engage players of all ages; Retail packaged, makes a great gift
- WHY CHOOSE SLAMMO: Premium construction at a great value without the inflated price tag; Features high tension netting for optimized bounce, track hook technology for 100% net coverage, and all-surface legs to play anywhere; Designed in the US
If it’s hot out, don’t forget to bring some water toys and floaties to keep you cool and relaxed in the lake. Whether it’s a giant inflatable swan or a simple pool noodle, everyone will appreciate a fun and relaxing swim toy.
Finally, when the sun starts to set and it’s time to head indoors, surprise your host with a new board game on the coffee table. Classic favorites like Monopoly, Scrabble, and Catan will keep everyone engaged and having fun long into the night. And don’t forget our ultra-favorite, the Horse Racing Board Game!
5) Personalized Hostess Gifts for a Lake House or Cabin
Still need some good ideas? Here are some host gifts that are truly special and personalized! From customized cheese boards to monogrammed beach towels, your hostess will love these thoughtful gifts.
For starters, let’s talk about the personalized cutting board, charcuterie board or cheese board. Any of these would be an uber-practical gift that your hostess would appreciate – with endless uses and easy storage, besides. (Good for small spaces like lake cabins!) You can customize it with their family name or even a cute lake-inspired phrase. It’s the perfect gift for cabin owners who love dinner parties and entertaining.
Or how about some high-quality, customized beach towels? Your hosts will love these personalized towels that they can use all summer long. They’ll appreciate the thoughtful touch of having their initials (or names!) embroidered on the towels. Beach towels come in endless colors, umpteen sizes and infinite patterns. And they’re a practical gift that can be used year after year.
Lastly, why not surprise them with a personalized photo album filled with memories at the lake house? Your hosts will love reliving those special occasions with you – guaranteed to generate laughs (and embarrassing stories). You can even include some blank pages for new memories in the years to come.
6) Miscellaneous Host and Hostess Gifts
Okay – let’s wrap up this article with a few last ideas.
Remember that a rustic birdhouse, bird bath, or hummingbird feeder is always a hit with nature lovers. Not only do these bring wildlife into the backyard, but they also provide a safe and inviting home for our feathered friends.
And birds are magical to watch! For bird lovers, a birding book makes a great gift, too. Humble brag: I work for the amazing company who publishes this book, and the series has been a hot seller for 30 years. We have one for each state, and they’re perfect for the curious backyard birder.
- Tekiela, Stan (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 324 Pages – 04/07/2020 (Publication Date) – Adventure Publications (Publisher)
For those with a green thumb, consider gifting a colorful planter or garden plant. A hanging basket is beautiful anywhere, and a pretty planter is so welcoming on the porch.
And finally, for those who love the peaceful serenity of a lakeside retreat, a lake-scented candle is sure to bring a smile. Remember, though, that some people are sensitive to fragrance. Instead of a traditional aromatic candle, a beautiful, battery-powered candle is cozy, safe and long-lasting.
So go ahead and spread the love with these miscellaneous host and hostess gifts. Your friends will thank you for the thoughtful gesture.
7) Conclusion: Best Host & Hostess Gifts for a Lake Home or Cabin
Well folks, there you have it – the 23 best hostess gift ideas for a lake home or cabin! Hopefully this list has given you some inspiration and ideas for your next trip to the lake. From cozy blankets to stylish serving trays, there are perfect hostess gifts for every taste and budget.
And don’t forget, the best gift of all is your presence! Whether you’re visiting for an overnight stay or a week, spending time with your loved ones at the lake is always a special gift.
So pack your bags. Grab a bottle of wine, sparkling cider or craft beer, and get ready for some quality time at the lake.
Cheers to good times and great gifts!
What to Do Now
Enjoy what you’re reading? Here’s what to do next:
- Go ahead and Pin or Share this article right now. Don’t worry, we’ll wait!
- Leave a comment below
- Read another blog post here
- Subscribe to our (almost) famous newsletter:
Thanks for stopping by! See you next time. 🙂